Cart 0

Get this: Newsweek called The American Bystander...

“The Last Great Humor Magazine."

Bystander Cover.png

In October 2015, a bunch of genial weirdos came together to create The American Bystander, the first new national humor magazine in 30 years. We wanted to create a place for print humor in the 21st Century; in a dumbness-forward era, we wanted to present if not an antidote, at least an alternative. What the world needs now is therapy on a species-wide scale — but until then, there's The American Bystander

Our readers want real humor with an intelligent bent, not afraid to go where advertisers fear to tread. Each jam-packed book collects a diverse group of nearly a hundred top writers and cartoonists in a great looking, full-color, softcover format. The New York Times called us “an essential read for comedy nerds,” but don’t take their word for it: Check out some sample pages here, or read material from the magazine on our blog.

To our early adopters — thank you. You've seen us grow from our Kickstarter days to our current Patreon subscription format. To those just joining us, understand this: you are investors in culture. You are participating in the democratization of traditional print, and we love you for it.  As Bystander grows, we depend on your contributions and word-of-mouth to be able to continue to provide the sophisticated content you deserve. (Well, 98% sophisticated. The other 2% was just too funny not to print.)

Here's how you can help:
1) If you haven't already, go subscribe now.
2) Buy our prior issues. The easiest way is to buy through Amazon/B&N/Powell's (or special order at your favorite brick and mortar store). Or if you prefer to save a couple of bucks, you can buy directly from us — just PayPal $20 per issue to publisher [at] americanbystander [dot] org (be sure to tell us which issue(s) you're buying).
3) Subscribe to our email list below to stay in the loop regarding all things Bystander, including new issue release dates and online content. 

Our growing subscriber base has convinced us that people really love this magazine, and we think you'll like it, too. If you do, please tell others — word-of-mouth is key to our continued success.

The current state of publishing has left a lot of wonderful artists and writers with no way to reach their fans — and for people just starting out, a once-difficult career has become nearly impossible. Meanwhile, the world continues to be one great big ball of screw. We just couldn’t take it anymore, folks, we had to do something…so we created The American Bystander.

What happens next is up to you. 

Michael Gerber
Editor & Publisher

Cartoon by Tom Toro. © 2015 Tom Toro.

Cartoon by Tom Toro. © 2015 Tom Toro.


to buy issues from us, because we are lousy at business

(Some of)

Charles Barsotti (The New Yorker)
Michael Ian Black (Stella)
George Booth (The New Yorker)
Steve Brodner (Rolling Stone)
M.K. Brown (The National Lampoon)
Roz Chast (TNY)
Seymour Chwast (Push Pin Graphic)
Billy Collins (US Poet Laureate)
Larry Doyle (The New Yorker)
Liana Finck (The New Yorker)
Drew Friedman (MAD)
Tom Gammill (Seinfeld)
Jack Handey (SNL)
Todd Hanson (The Onion)
Al Jean (The Simpsons)
Terry Jones (Monty Python)
Peter Kuper (MAD)
Merrill Markoe (Letterman)
Brian McConnachie (SNL)
George Meyer (The Simpsons)
Daniel Ortberg (The Toast)
Mimi Pond (The National Lampoon)
Mike Reiss (The Simpsons)
Mike Sacks (Vanity Fair)
Nell Scovell (SPY)
Edward Sorel (Vanity Fair)
Steve Young (Letterman)
Alan Zweibel (SNL)
and many, many more.

Get Updates